This week was International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day! In honor of this very important holiday, why not bake up some delicious homemade treats for your pup? Homemade treats allow you to know and control exactly what are in your dog’s treats, and this recipe is so quick and easy, you’ll wonder why you hadn’t made homemade cookies sooner!
Peanut butter and banana dog treats
2 bananas, very ripe, mashed
¼ cup peanut butter (make sure it is xylitol free!)
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups of flour; whole wheat, oat, gluten-free, or any of your choosing works!
1) Preheat oven to 305° F.
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, or spray with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
3) Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the bananas, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until well combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
4) Decrease speed to low, and slowly add in the cup of oats. Mix until oats are incorporated evenly.
5) Slowly add in the 2 cups of flour, ½ a cup at a time, until well combined. Add additional flour in as needed, until dough is no longer sticky. Alternately, if dough is initially too dry, add in water one teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
6) On a lightly-floured surface, knead the dough a few times until it all comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to about a ¼ – inch thickness.
7) Using cooker cutters in your choice of shape, cut out cookies and place on prepared baking sheet.
8) When all cut out, place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
Baking time will vary depending on individual ovens and the size and thickness of the cookies.
The longer cookies are baked, the crunchier they will become, so bake to your pets preference.
Please consult with your vet about any potential allergies your pet may have.